New year. New opportunities.
Are you prepared?
It is that time of the year where everyone is busy setting goals and planning for the year ahead. But, setting goals whether personal or professional is one thing and achieving them is another. Let’s deepen your clarity about your goals and desired outcomes. What obstacles stand in the way of your success? What does your plan look like? And how to seal your commitment for a fabulous year ahead!
5 Ds Approach to a successful year
Draw your goals
While it is important to set SMART goals; meaning make your goals Specific, Measurable, Actionable, Realistic and Time-bound. It is equally important to align your goals with who you are at your core. To seal your commitment to your goals, ask yourself:
- What is most important to you about your goals?
- What is inspiring about your goals?
- How achieving your goals affect other areas of your life?
- How your goals align with who you are at your core?
- On a scale 1-10, how committed are you about your goals?
- If it is not 10, what could you do to raise this score?
Describe the best possible outcomes
If you can see it, you can have it!
Imagine 12 months from now, all obstacles are removed and you have achieved your goals:
- What would be the best outcome?
- What would be the biggest impact from achieving your goals?
- What your colleagues / relatives would see?
- How would you feel then?
Define your Obstacles
Be ready for the challenges that lie ahead. Define the ‘what-if’ and then plan your way around it:
- What are the external factors that would stand in the way of achieving your goals?
- What are the internal barriers?
- What is the most challenging part for you?
- What would hold you back from moving towards your goals?
Design your plan
Now that you are clear about your goals, existing and potential barriers, it is time to paint your path, define how you will reach your goals. Imagine it's a year from now and you've accomplished your goals:
- What steps have you taken to achieve them?
- What are the resources that enabled your success?
- What resources and skills did you need to develop?
- Who are the people that were key contributors to achieving your goals?
Determine to succeed
Perseverance is key to your success. Stay focused on what moves you forward towards your goals: Ask yourself:
- What would you do if you knew you couldn't fail?
- What one small step could you take to move forward?
- What would you be willing to give up to achieve your goals?
- What 3 things could you do to support yourself and make sure achieving your goals?
- How you will ensure listening to your Inner Champion rather than your Inner Critique?
As you embark on your 2019 journey, remember, achieving big goals are made up of taking a series of small steps. Perseverance coupled with even a little progress every week will help you stay on your course towards achieving your goals. Keep in mind to hit the pause button to reflect and adjust your sails according to market and life conditions, ensuring living a fulfilling and successful year!
About the Author
As Executive Director of Resilience & Co FZE, Nada El Marji is responsible for setting the company’s overall strategic directions, including planning and defining the strategy, development, and evolution of R&CO’s portfolio of services and programs.
She has more than 20 years of global experience in various industries and technologies.
Given her life and professional experience, she’s particularly passionate about building the resilience of individuals, organizations and communities, enabling them to thrive and not just to survive during VUCA times.
Ms El Marji holds an MBA degree from Leicester University in the UK, she's also a Certified Leadership Coach, Certified Systemic Team Coach and Associate Certified Coach (ACC) by the International Coach Federation (ICF).